For my IST 195 entrepreneurial project I've decided to ask myself the question, how can I add value to a product/service that currently exists? The service I'm going to try to improve with all the knowledge I gain from the class is actually a service I created myself called Orange Slice Sports. It's a Syracuse sports related website written by the students, for the students. I recently started this blog because I love Syracuse sports and it's taken off. Now, I want to try to monetize it. Making money by doing something I love would be great. So here it goes:
Social media was the topic of discussion in this week's lecture. For any sports related news/blog site like this, social media is crucial. I've learned that the best way to get views is by throwing out every post onto different venues of social media. However, until class this week I had never really considered using Google+ for my site. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for a site like mine to have its own Google+ account. I have both Twitter and Facebook accounts for Orange Slice Sports and both get me quite a few hits per post, so should I get a Google+?
I don't think Google+ is ready for Orange Slice Sports yet. That might be an odd thing to say, but I think its true. I try to get these posts out to as many people as possible, but how many people am I really going to hit on Google+ that don't already subscribe to my tweets or Facebook posts? Right now, Google+ is for the advanced social media user. It's not really a social thing right now because it's still in its original stages. I could be wrong, so I tried posting one of my Orange Slice Sports stories to my own Google+ account and it saw very little traffic. So I'm happy with what I'm doing social media wise right now.


It is great to see the school spirit. Trying to monetize blogs can be a pain, but once you get it to be sustainable, they can be great recurring revenue. One quick comment, Google+ still hasn't figured out what they want to do with brands on the site whereas Facebook has nailed this down for businesses and organizations. One of the other problems with Google+ is that the traffic really isn't that engaged whereas Facebook announced that they had the most logins in one day recently of about 500M accounts which is mind blowing. I think the key to success on this blog is to provide quality content that ultimately gets syndicated.
ReplyDeleteBen, I like the idea as I am trying to do the same thing on a larger scale. I think a huge key is to find a way for the major sports sites to bring you the readers. Be the first on a story and suddenly you have credibility/readers. Also for social media, Facebook is still were it's at. With the in depth set up of creating a fan page and easy advertising, Facebook could be a great way to grab new readers. Key is to just utilize that page enough that fans don't lose interest.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea as many Syracuse Orange fans are all looking for new places to read about the teams. This is especially good as many of the sports you write about don't get much publicity and it allows the fans to actually have a blog to read about their respective team. Great idea.
ReplyDeleteI think that Orange Slice sports is a great idea. Its cool to read about Syracuse sports from a student point of view. I like that the blog is really easy to navigate and also has many sections for various sports. It seems like this idea could really take off
ReplyDelete